Just Think Over It- Where Does The Unpleasant Smell Come From?
Unpleasant odors emit from spoiled products. So, as soon as you feel the smell in the refrigerator, you first need to find and throw away something that smells bad.
- Rotting vegetables are insidious in that they often begin to deteriorate from the inside while outwardly looking quite suitable for human consumption.
- Spilled products, primarily dairy, fermented milk, and even a tiny kefir or yogurt puddle, will smell bad in a few days.
- Sauces, salads, and other dishes with large amounts of garlic emit a pungent smell. And if they disappear, they spread a real stench around.
- Chicken eggs contain particular amino acids converted to hydrogen sulfide when cooked. The corresponding smell will appear if you forget about them for a long time.
Remember, sometimes offensive odors are not associated with food but with improper operation of the refrigerator. What should you check?
- The rubber seal is often clogged with crumbs, pieces of food, and a small amount of liquid.
- The drainage hole can also become clogged with food particles, creating a favorable environment for reproducing bacteria and mold.
- The ventilation system fails if the temperature and humidity in the cell have increased simultaneously. This is another reason for the appearance of microbes and fungi.
With the reasons sorted out, we move on to eliminating foul odors in the refrigerator.
Perform General Washing
This is the obvious and most effective measure that will help nine times out of ten. The first step is to find and eliminate the source of the unpleasant smell. You may also need to throw out other products in the immediate vicinity. Remove all contents from the refrigerator and defrost in the usual way. Then, you can start cleaning the device. We recommend that you wear rubber gloves and a protective mask.
- Removable shelves and containers are removed; wash them under the tap with dish gel and let them dry thoroughly.
- Prepare a cleaning solution. 500 ml of water + 3-4 tablespoons of vinegar + 2-3 drops of ammonia (or one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide)
- Apply the resulting solution to a soft, clean sponge or microfiber cloth.
- Treat the entire surface of the refrigerator compartment and the door from the inside.
- Clean the rubber seals thoroughly at regular intervals.
- Wipe everything with a damp, disposable cloth, and ventilate the refrigerator.
- Once everything is dry, you can return the containers to the shelves and connect the device to the network.
Put Citrus Slices On The Shelves.
What To Do To Prevent Unpleasant Odors From Appearing?
- Even if you have a refrigerator with the No Frost option, defrost it once every 3–4 months and thoroughly clean the inside.
- It is advisable to wipe the refrigerator compartment every month with a clean, damp cloth (you can use a weak vinegar solution) without disconnecting from the mains.
- Check your refrigerator every week and discard all products that have expired.
- Make sure that the refrigerator is at most three-quarters full. This interferes with the flow of cold air to circulate freely, which is why products spoil faster. And the load on the device itself increases.
- Make sure that the refrigerator door fits snugly. Deformation of the seal causes warm air to enter the chamber. The result is that the same food spoils ahead of time.
- Remember, never put warm food in the refrigerator. A high-temperature source causes condensation on the chamber’s walls and creates optimal conditions for the appearance of mold.
The appearance of an unpleasant smell in a refrigerator causes inconvenience to its users. You should follow the optimal rules for using the fridge and clean it occasionally to prevent offensive smells from appearing. Following the tips mentioned above, you can illuminate a pleasant order from the refrigerator and keep using it as usual. Book your appointment with Canada appliance repair services if technical issues cause the problem. Our experts will be happy to help you with high priority.